Welcome to Fabric Bows and More. I have compiled several bow, flower, headband tutorials together in one place. Most of the tutorials I have found online searching for things to make. I hope you will find a few that you like whether it be for your daughters or yourself. Don't forget to click on the "Older Posts" at the bottom over to the right to see more samples.

Monday, February 28, 2011

My Fabric Flower Bow Tutorial

I usually use my big shot for all my bows but decided to try my idea out and was glad I did.  This one was all by hand and not with my machine that cuts out all my flowers for me.  This bow ended up being approx 3 1/2” dia. finished. 

tut9

First cut 4 strips of 1” x 7” of fabric (bottom). Then cut 4 strips of 1” x 5” (middle)and last 4 strips of 1” x 3 1/2” (top) .  I then took my pinking shears and cut the edges (only vertical edges) of the ribbon so they ended up being about 3/4” instead of the 1”.  I also have a 2” felt circle, a button I made to match (did not end up using it though see below) and a covered hair clip.  If you want the bow larger than the 3 1/2 inched then add an inch or more to it. 

tut1

I turned the strips of ribbon over so the pattern was facing down and pulled the ends up to the middle and with my glue gun put a dot in the center and glued them down.  Now the backside of the fabric is all in the middle and only the pattern is on the outsides top and bottom.  I left my seam in the middle (you will not see it there).

They are all about 1/2 the size of the original length now.

tut2

I took all 4 strips of each pattern and laid them on top of each other  like shown below and glued them together in the middle.  (not to scale in photos below).

tut3

After they are all glued I then took them and set them on top of each other and glued them together. 

tut4

This is what it looked like with the button I made but I did not like it. 

tut5

So I got my buttons and scrapbook brads (I get most of mine at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbook section).  I glued the brad to the center of the button and glued it to my bow.  I bent the prongs off the brad it it would lay flat on the button (all of them have the prongs on the back that will need to be cut off or bend them off. 

tut6

Much better with the button and brad. 

tut7

tut8

Lastly I glued the felt on the back and the covered hair clip.  I did have to take my glue gun and go back in and glue different placed in the bow so it would hold together better. 

tut10

tut9

17 comments:

  1. What pretty flowers! Thanks for the great tutorial! Want to try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bow. Don't forget to join me for More The Merrier Monday and link up all of your great projects.


    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! The finished project is adorable.
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial! I really love this flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this on FTF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a cute idea! Have you thought of using a fabric stiffener for this project?
    I am a new follower. Hope you come by to visit.
    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some wonderful ideas, there is just a wealth of information here. I am so glad Jen over at Tatertots and Jello shared this site. And thank you for sharing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so much good stuff on here. I just added your button to my blog to share since I love teaching teens to make flowers. thx

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! TFS the tutorial. I may try these on my cards. I'm going to add your button to my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! I need to make some for my girls :)

    I'd love if you'd link up at my party:
    http://itssewforyou.blogspot.com/2011/02/its-sew-fun-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute! Makes me want little grand daughters! Can't wait to share it with my friend who has some.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the patterns in this flower! And what a great tutorial! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable bow and great tutorial! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I really like that, and I never, ever knew how to make any kind of bow - thanks for teaching me! I've become your "Follower" :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute. I love the colors.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love a great Before and After. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...